Crime can strike anywhere at any time, no matter how safe your neighborhood is. Luckily there are many easy ways to protect your home and keep your possessions, yourself and your family safer every day.
1) Home security or surveillance system: Obviously we would be remiss to not include having a home security and/or home surveillance system on this list. A burglar is much less likely to approach your residence if surveillance cameras are in plain site and even less likely to stick around if an alarm goes off at the moment of break in. However the biggest benefit of having a surveillance system is the ability to provide the authorities with visual evidence of the event. And not only that but also most burglars will avoid homes that show they are being monitored in the first place. Why bother when there are much easier targets?
An added bonus is the fact that not only will your home security and surveillance systems protect you from crime, but also if you have a fire, flood or other emergency. It is a great feeling to know that a complete team is on call at a moment’s notice.
2) Neighborhood Watch: Neighborhood watches are fantastic ways for neighbors to help keep each other safe. A neighborhood watch is like having a home security camera system in every house on the street. By working together you all can make sure that any suspicious sightings or people are reported and dealt with immediately. Neighborhood watches have been shown to be exceptionally effective at preventing crime. Even better is that neighborhood watches will not only help home security but will help keep the overall area safe for children, families and everyone’s benefit.
3) Car alarm systems: In the same way that a home security system alarm will deflect a criminal from sticking around a home, a car alarm will deter a car break in. But that’s not all, often criminals will strike a car at the same time they are going for a house or other target, the car alarm could prevent an additional ‘piggy back’ crimes from occurring as well.
4) Window protection: Have lots of windows and sliding glass doors. Make sure they are double protected by placing a wooden block in the track of each window. This will prevent windows from being opened from the outside.
5) Be aware: This might be the best tip there is! Too often we see homeowners going about their daily life being completely unaware of their surroundings and potential suspicious behavior or activities. Always be aware of your environment and any changes or things that might make you feel uncomfortable. Often YOU are the best source to prevent crime.